Excel files and termwiki
Required columns in Excel files
- There must be one column per language where expressions are written
- There must be a field defining the part of speech of the expressions. Part of speech is usually noun, verb or adjective.
A minimal Excel file must have at least three columns
|Sámi language||Majority language||Part of speech|
If you need a place to add notes about the expressions, a separate column for each language should be made
|Sámi language||Sámi language note||Majority language||Majority language note||Part of speech|
|sámegiella||notáhta sámi sáni birra||englistWord||a note on the majority langauge expression||Noun|
If you need more than these columns, you really should be editing the termlist straight here in the Termwiki.
Expressions columns in Excel files
A cell in an expression column should only contain expressions in one language. Further it shall not contain notes, inflection forms and so on.
Expression fields in an Excel file can only contain single word or multiword expressions separated by a comma.
- Individual expression can either be
- a single word expression: word
- a multi word expression: word1 word2
Examples of valid expressions are:
|word||a single word expression|
|word1, word2, word3||single word expressions, separated with commas|
|field trip||a multi word expression|
|field trip1, field trip2||multi word expressions, separated with commas|
|word1, field trip2||a combination of single and multi word expressions, separated with commas|
Explanation of error types found in Excel-files
Examples of invalid expressions are:
|Invalid example||Explanation||Corrected example|
|björkskog/-dal||a human readable way of writing two expressions that really are two compound words||björkskog, björkskogsdal|
|ájrro/ájro||wrong expression separator||ájrro, ájro|
|nåleøye, på trekantet synål||formally a valid expression, but expression and note are in the same field||nåløye should be in the expressions column. på trekantet synål should be moved to the note column|
|ackja, lock-||randomly divided compound word||ackjalock|
The validator program sends the valid expressions to the sámi grammars. The words classified as possible typos are words that are not found in these grammars. There are two possible reasons for this:
- The expression is indeed a typo
- The expression is correctly written, but for some reason it is not part of our grammars. If this is the reason, send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org about these errors, and they will try to amend this as soon as possible.
These are links to other pages on the termwiki where the named expression is already used. If the expressions in your Excel-file has the same meaning as one of the pages, add your new information to that page. If not, a new Termwiki page has to be created.